Second Coole Park Poetry Series with Druid, curated by Colm Tóibín
Adrian Brinkerhoff Poetry Foundation and Druid are pleased to announce a new co-production: a second edition of the Coole Park Poetry Series, curated by Colm Tóibín. Appearing online from May 19 through July 21, the series will encompass ten filmed readings of poems by giants of Irish literature, featuring a cast of 11 acclaimed actors.
Each Wednesday, a new film will premiere online, free to view on the YouTube channels of both organizations. Films will be organized by each poet's date of birth, showcasing the range and evolution of Irish poetry over the past century. As with the first Coole Park Poetry Series in 2020, these ten poetry films were shot by Matthew Thompson on location at Coole Park in County Galway, the literary landmark and home of Augusta, Lady Gregory. The films feature art direction by Garry Hynes and music by Gerry Horan.
Make sure you catch each film in the full program:
- May 19th: Tommy Tiernan reads "The Echo at Coole" by Austin Clarke (b. 1896)
- May 26th: Aaron Monaghan reads "The Hospital" by Patrick Kavanagh (b. 1904)
- June 2nd: Seán McGinley reads "Another September" by Thomas Kinsella (b. 1928)
- June 9th: Marty Rea reads an excerpt from "Station Island" by Seamus Heaney (b. 1939)
- June 16th: Brian Doherty reads "A Disused Shed in County Wexford" by Derek Mahon (b. 1941)
- June 23rd: Venetia Bowe reads "The Architectural Metaphor" by Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin (b. 1942)
- June 30th: Jade Jordan reads "The Lost Art of Letter Writing" by Eavan Boland (b. 1944)
- July 7th: Andrew Bennett and Rory Nolan read "Tullynoe: Tête-à-Tête in the Parish’s Priest’s Parlour" by Paul Durcan (b. 1944)
- July 14th: Marie Mullen reads "Cathleen" by Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill (b. 1952)
- July 21st: Clare Dunne reads "This is not a confessional poem" by Paula Meehan (b. 1955)